This event has already occurred
Slideshow image
Save to your Calendar

A celebration will be held on July 30 at the old All Saints’ Anglican Church situated at the museum in Drayton Valley at 6013-44 Avenue. The event will start with Holy Eucharist at 10:30 am with Rev. Robyn King officiating. A light luncheon and refreshments will follow.

The original church was moved from 50th Ave, the site of the present Beehive Support Services Association, 5056-50 Ave, in November 1998 to the present location and placed on a foundation. The roof was re-shingled, and the original wood of the ceiling and floor was restored. The blinds were replaced. This refurbishment was done to preserve its original state, as funds were made available from different grants.

An invitation is extended to anyone interested in seeing the building, to rekindle memories of attendance, baptisms, confirmations, weddings, or funerals held here. 

Anglicans have had a presence in the community since the early 1900s, and this building was the second church in Drayton Valley. 

The first Anglican Institution was a Mission House built in 1936, funded by “Lady Agnes Farren Memorial Fund.” The fund stipulated that medical facilities had to be supplied in the form of a dispensary and First Aid Station because there was no hospital in the vicinity.

A deaconess Sybil Groves tended to the religious needs. Miss Barbara Whittaker looked after medical needs and maternity care. These ladies traveled on horseback to residents of Drayton Valley and the surrounding area regardless of their faith. 

The original church was dedicated on October 10, 1937. After oil was discovered in 1953, the congregation increased and, in 1955, the Rev. Les Corness became the first full-time rector. By the 1990s, the size of the congregation had outgrown the original church. An acre of land was donated by Mrs. Edith Deby to enable the present All Saints’ to be built at 5212-47 Ave. Submitted by Miriam Roberts